Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Xwords and an old man


(Google's rendition of "grandpa")

This story took place yesterday at approximately 9:45 in the AM. Being Monday, and the easiest crossword day (we all know this), I made a point to grab a newspaper before I hopped on the train for my HOUR LONG COMMUTE. About ten stops into my ride, I'm doing pretty well for myself, when an old man sits next to me on the train. I can feel him reading the puzzle over my shoulder but doesn't say anything to me for about two or three minutes. After a sufficient amount of awkwardness passes, he interrupts my crosswording, saying: "It's been a very long time since I've seen anyone to do one of these." I tell him that I try to do one every day, which is totally a lie, but he seemed to buy it and was impressed that I wasn't one of those people that "just tunes out and watches tv all day long." We begin doing the crossword puzzle together and he gets a few answers. About twenty minutes later his stop is approaching and he starts to gather his things. As he gets up he turns to me and says "You're a very intelligent girl and if I were fifty years younger I would ask for your number." I smile and thanked him for his help with the puzzle and told him to have a nice day. And he responds with "Well, you've already smiled at me..." Needless to say, he melted my heart and I <3 old people!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. SO JEALOUS. That should have been me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saw this old couple with matching sunglasses, jackets, and gloves HOLDING MOTHER FUCKING HANDS walking down the street. i actually STOPPED and almost had a heart attack from the cuteness level.

    reason #102381203 why you should always have a camera with you (reason #1: dude taking a dump on longs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually laughing out loud, in my room, by myself right now.

    ReplyDelete